Banking, Finance & Capital Markets
The firm is able to advise on the full spectrum of equity and debt-related transactions and financial products including syndicated lending, leveraged and acquisition finance, asset and project finance, derivative products, and financial services regulation. The practice is thematically divided into the following:
- Asset and project finance;
- Corporate finance including debt and equity capital markets;
- Financial services regulation;
- Compliance of public (listed) companies;
- Public M&As; and
- Private equity, venture capital and investment funds.
The practice area cuts across much of the firm’s corporate & commercial work, from which it draws expertise relating to competition, due diligence, regulation, private equity investments and funds, and strategic alliances.
Recent highlights include:
- Acting for Alpha Bank (as lead arranger and bondholder agent) in connection to security interests for a €95m syndicated loan to a Greek listed company.
- Acting for China Development Bank in a €94m project finance facility in the Greek energy sector.
- Advice to Warwick Capital on the legal and tax framework for cross-border acquisitions in Greece.
- Representing Baring Private Equity Fund, one of the largest and most established independent private equity firms in Asia, in contemplated acquisitions of equity and debt in Greek public companies.
Representative Clients: Alpha Bank, China Development Bank, Baring Private Equity Fund Asia, Warwick Capital Partners, Western Union, UBS, World Bank, Barclays.
Alpha Bank, China Development Bank, Baring Private Equity Fund Asia, Warwick Capital Partners, Western Union, UBS, World Bank, Barclays.
Ioanna Lazaridou, Konstantina Soultati, Tom Kyriakopoulos and Yannis Kelemenis are the key figures within the finance and corporate teams. Highlights in the finance area in the last year include acting for China Development Bank on a €94m project finance facility in the energy sector and advising Alpha Bank as lead arranger and bondholder agent in a syndicated bond loan… In project finance, the firm, like much of the market, has seen mandates in the renewable sector including new projects but also the sale of portfolios in the areas of solar and wind.
The Kelemenis team is driven by the twin lights of Konstantina Soultati and Ioanna Lazaridou. The team worked on the financing arrangements for Youtravel.com last year including negotiations with Santander. In corporate matters the team acted for Chevron and the sale of its Greek aviation fuel business and AON on the acquisition of a listed insurance portfolio.
Restructurings and refinancings have been high on the agenda at Kelemenis & Co., which primarily acts for borrowers. Recently it represented Kleva Pharmaceuticals on its debt restructuring.
Kelemenis & Co.’s four-partner firm fields a robust banking and finance practice. The firm acted for hotel developer Aquis Hotels & Resorts on the financing of its acquisition of seven hotels and resorts totalling more than €70m. The firm also acted for UBS on reviewing the regulatory and indirect tax implications of its stock lending agreements in Greek securities. Clients praise the firm’s “quick, focused and commercially switched-on approach”.